Kinfauns Castle arrived Cape Town May 20 1880
Passengers for Natal:
Lieutenants Pixley and Priskett
Revs. Brastveldt [Braatvedt?] and Gunderson
Mr and Mrs Wilson
Mrs Masters (4)
Misses (5) Fisher
Mrs, Master and Miss Gunderson
Master and Miss Middleton
Mrs, Miss and Master Friedlander
CASTLE LINE OF STEAMERS Natal Witness February 21 1880
(Empire, January 15)
Those gentlemen interested in South Africa who met on board the newly-built steamship, the Kinfauns Castle, at the invitation of the owners, must have felt gratified at the sight which met their view on their arrival at the West India Docks. Seven vessels of the Castle fleet of Messrs. Donald Currie & Co., representing a tonnage of 18,000 and a value of half a million, were lying there, two of them being the splendidly-built and equipped vessels the Grantully Castle and the Kinfauns Castle. The latter, the first steel ocean mail steamer which has been constructed, is a perfectly appointed and majestic vessel, built upon the same lines as the Grantully Castle, the iron ship which lay beside her. The comparison of their performances will therefore be instructive.
The Kinfauns Castle and Grantully Castle are over 500 to 600 tons larger than any other steamers engaged in the Cape mail service. They each carry 120 first-class passengers, 100 second-class, and 160 third-class, with a cargo of 2,000 tons, and coal enough to take them to the Cape and back to Madeira. They are structurally fitted for cruiser purposes. They have respectively three iron and three steel decks, and the upper deck is of the ordinary strength of a main deck. There are six water-tight and fire-proof bulkheads, and the ship would float with any compartment full of water. The engine-room is divided by fireproof and water-tight compartments from the rest of the ship. Each of these steamers could carry ten heavy guns and steam from England to Japan by the Cape of Good Hope without coaling, either as a cruiser or a transport for carrying troops. The saloon goes through from side to side, and is forty-three feet square. There is a ladies' deck saloon, a smoking cabin, and a spacious promenade.
Perfect in their appointments, so far as scientific skill and decorative art can make them, these vessels are indeed a valuable addition to the fleet of Cape steamers owned by Messrs. Donald Currie and Co.
The party on board partook of an excellent luncheon, presided over by Mr Donald Currie, C.M.G., supported by Sir Authur Cunynghame, Mr Lord, Q.C., Attorney-General for Griqualand West, Mr John Napier, etc.
The usual toasts were drank, and speeches followed.