St John's River: Eastern Gate from Wharf
This vessel was built at Greenwich in 1882, the brain-child of Natal pioneer, Sydney Turner. At first a great success, the coastal trade as far as Mozambique which Turner initially built up, dwindled and he eventually considered selling her. Later her name was changed to Neves Ferreira. After she had her name changed she was given iron plates - armoured for the 1894/95 war in South Mozambique.