Green Point lighthouse, Natal.
Erected in 1905 it has a cast-iron structure and is painted in red and white striped bands. It served to warn mariners of the presence of the Aliwal Shoal, 5km offshore, and was the second last lighthouse to use petroleum vapour burners. This building is a national monument. Since 1961 the lighthouse has been fully automated.
To avoid the Aliwal Shoal, ships rely on three lighthouses – Ifafa Beach, Port Shepstone and Green Point. Aliwal Shoal, named after the ship, Aliwal, that sunk here, consists of incredible hard and soft corals and diverse tropical and subtropical fish, and is considered a “hub” for scuba divers around the world. The lighthouse at Ifafa has a radio beacon that has helped prevent further shipwrecks along this coast.
Early days at the Green Point Lighthouse; ca 1905
Height: 21 m
Light source: mains power