Monday, September 21, 2015

The Genealogist's Psalm



Genealogy is my pastime, I shall not stray;
It maketh me to lie down and examine half-buried tombstones.
It leadeth me into still Court Houses,
it restoreth my ancestral knowledge.
It leadeth me in paths of census records and ships'
passenger lists
for my surname's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the shadows of research
libraries and microfilm readers,
I shall fear no discouragement;
for a strong urge is within me;
the curiosity and motivation
they comfort me.

It demandeth preparation of storage space for the
acquisition of countless documents;
it anointest my head with burning midnight oil,
my family group sheets runneth over.
Surely birth, marriage, and death dates shall follow me
all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of a family-history seeker for ever.